Thursday, June 4, 2009

As I Remember, What a Night

I just found out today that a dear old friend, with whom I had lost touch over the past few years, died of ovarian cancer less than a month ago. She was 39 years old.

I can't seem to stop crying.

But for the grace of God, go I. Why is it that some of us get these burdens to carry, and some don't? That is the universal question, isn't it? And one to which there is no answer.

I didn't get to say this to her, so I am saying it to the blogoshpere, and hoping that some way, some how, she hears it too...

A, I am so sorry we lost touch. I know it wasn't because of a lack of affection for one another. I have spent all morning, recounting times we spent together.

You were there for me twice when I thought my world was falling apart. I know now that after one of those times, CO promised you he wouldn't break my heart. Thank you for caring about me enough to need to hear that from him. Thanks too for throwing me my bridal shower. It was a beautiful gift you gave to me.

I am so very sorry for the suffering you have endured the last few years, for both the physical pain, and the fear. I am so glad E was by your side. I remember when you two started dating. I told you he was a good man, and we were right. I will do whatever little thing I can to comfort him now.

We had some wonderful times together. one of which I wrote about here, but there were so many others. I found a picture of us today, at Magic Mountain. Me, you, E. and R. I remember standing in lines, playing music trivia games to amuse ourselves.
We always managed to amuse ourselves. "Which ones are named Doobie?" I STILL say that almost every time I hear a Doobie Brothers song.

You were a good friend to me, A. I am blessed to have known you, and I will never forget you. I hope, where ever you are now, that you can know that.

Always,
Maggie May

5 comments:

Kate P said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, MM. But I'm glad you have a lot of nice memories about her. She touched your life in a wonderful way. May she rest in peace.

Cullen said...

I am very sorry, M.

nightfly said...

So soon... that's a shame. God's peace be with her and her family. So sorry to hear it, Maggie.

The Fifth String said...

So terribly sorry to hear, Maggie. Thoughts and prayers for her family and friends.

tracey said...

Oh, that's so sad. I'm very sorry to hear it.