Friday, November 7, 2008

Ugh!

I just spent three whole days interviewing interns. If I have to hear one more person tell me their greatest strength, I may have to stab them with my pencil. Seriously. No more.

But the upside of all this torture is that a) it is much better to be on my side of the table than theirs, and b) we had one crazy guy that, of course, I must share with you.

First, he had an odd facial tick that made him look like the Joker of Batman fame.


While I felt sincerely bad for him, it gave me the creeps. Shudder.
Then there was this...
Interview 101...or things NOT to say during an interview:
1) My mom was real happy I got this interview.
2) My mom thought I should become an accountant because she has done her own taxes before, so that is how I decided to become an accounting major.
3) (Delivered in a monotone, with absolutely no affectation whatsoever) My mom says my greatest strength is my outgoing personality.
4) My experience in customer service taught me how to deal with difficult people. Sometimes customers can be angry or unhappy, and I learned that the best thing to do is just hang up on them until they cool down.
Mmmm kaaaaaaaay. Thanks so much for taking the time to come by and speak with us today. We will be in touch.

4 comments:

Kate P said...

Yikes. Interviewing is such drudgery. My former boss hated it so much he didn't want to fire anyone. That meant he'd have to endure interviews!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you made it through that interview without making one "Yo Mama" joke?

I know I'd be sorely tempted to.

Or I'd somehow surreptitiously e-mail one of the guys in the office, during the interview, to ask him to stop the interviewee on his way out and say, "Your mom says hi" or something like that.

Yeah. Probably a good thing I'm not involved with interviewing people.

Cullen said...

Ugh. Glad I don't have to do interviews.

Don't think I could have resisted the Yo Mama joke like Ricki said.

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Isn't it amazing that people that are this clueless about social skills actually make it through all their schooling and can even go on interviews??