Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Anticipating Santa

Nightfly has a post up about the great Santa debate, and he says it more perfectly than I ever could, so instead, I am going to share a few quotes from my almost-3-year-old granddaughter from the past few weeks as regards Santa. They are good for demonstrating that "abundant childhood wonder" to which Nightfly so eloquently refers.

#1 - I was standing outside in mid November, seeing the Puddin' Pop (PP) and her parents off one evening when I noticed PP looking up at the sky.
MM: "What 'cha lookin' at, PP?"

PP: "Santa's not up in the sky!"

MM: "No, PP. Not yet. It's too early."

PP: "Oh. Okay. I'll check later."
#2 - Thanksgiving day
PP: "Coma! Guess what? I saw Santa yesterday, and he was not up in the sky...he was at the mall!"

#3 - Last week I was yelling at our new dog (which I just realized I hadn't told you all about...so hey, we got a new dog...more on that later) to settle down.

MM: "Dingo! Stop it! Settle down!"

PP: "Dingo, Be good! Santa's watching you!"

#4 - Yesterday at the mall, PP was being a typical terrible two-year-old, and none of the usual warnings to "straighten up" were working. So my dad, who is visiting from the Midwest, takes her outside for awhile. He pulled out his cell phone and pretended to call Santa. When he "hung up" the phone, PP sticks out her bottom lip as says:

"I can't believe you did that, Poppy! Call him back and tell him I'm sorry!"

6 comments:

The Fifth String said...

Call him back and tell him I'm sorry!

Oh, that's too precious for words!

Kate P said...

Hee hee, yes! My mom (as Mom-Mom) has invoked Santa's help with my niece and middle nephew at times lately.

That part about PP's looking up at the sky cracked me up.

Cullen said...

That's great. The Santa warning works pretty well with Bo, too.

nightfly said...

PP is terrific!

I thank you for the link and the kind words... but truth be told, you have far the better part, because you get to see the wonder while I have to scrape by with words about it. Your story made my heart smile.

God bless you and keep you all this Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Aw, she is too precious. And precocious!

Anonymous said...

OMG Maggie that is TOO adorable!! It makes me sad that my kids are too old to believe. Having grandkids is going to rock!