Thursday, February 19, 2009

Idol Chit Chat 2009...A Whole Lotta Gone

I didn't comment on Tuesday night's performance show. With a few notable exceptions, it was teh suck. The most disappointing thing was Tatiana, in that I wanted her to stink it up, but she didn't. Still, she is a whole lotta crazy, that girl.

The results were not surprising. Alexis Grace was far and away the best female vocalist of the night. She had to have sailed through by a mile. I like her. She is an adorable little pixie. And she listened to the judges and "dirtied" herself up. She's great.

Michael was not the best male vocalist of the night, or even second best, but he has a likability factor the others don't. He is an average joe...good-looking, but not glamorous, and he is a manly man...no prom queen drama there at all. I would have selected Ricky Braddy over him based on vocals, but Ricky got screwed by the A.I. machine, in that he didn't get hardly any air time prior to Tuesday night. People already "knew" Michael.

Speaking of the A.I. publicity train, they have practically paraded Danny in on a float. Between his tragic loss, his best bud story and his general likability, he has been the A.I. poster boy for the audition phase of the competition. Everyone who has been paying attention knows and likes him already. He was a shoe in for the top 12 because A.I. made it so.

Now having said that, I have to say I basically love him. Thank you A.I.

It isn't only his story that is appealing. His face and his voice are da bomb, dawg. I think SarahK at Snark Raving Mad put it best...he "looks like Robert Downey Jr (pre-substance abuse and post-rehab), voice like buttah," and as she also pointed out, he is still wearing his wedding ring, which is just so incredibly touching. My husband, ever the cynic, says he is wearing it to play up the tragedy angle. I told him to shut it. Danny is damn sexy. Oh, and he can sing...like that's important or something.

As for the wild card round. I am not sure exactly how it works, but I hope they bring Ricky Braddy back for that, as well as Brent, who reminds me a bit of a younger CO, so I can't help myself.

So do you think that the A.I. folks were breathing a collective sigh of relief that they got off the air before Tatiana had a meltdown, or were they pulling for it? The camera kept panning to her, like they were anticipating something big. I loved how when she and Danny were on stage together at the end, he kept looking at her wearily. CO kept dubbing in Danny's thoughts, which were along the lines of: "Someone did go over this girl with a metal detector, right?", and "Security? Okay...just making sure you were paying attention." and our all time favorite line from Two and a Half Men, uttered by Berta about one of Charlie's psycho girlfriends "Did you see that bitch? You've gotta put a whole lotta gone between yourself and a crazy bitch like that."

A whole lotta gone.

1 comment:

nightfly said...

Ladybug and I had soooooo much fun with Tatiana. She found it apt that the crazy stalker girl chose the crazy "stalking someone's husband" song. I wondered if she'd be the first losing contestant to wade into the audience with a Louisville Slugger. Luckily the power of love prevailed.

I had the most fun with Jackie Tohn's hopped up on goofballs rendition of A Little Less Conversation - that thing came on stage in a clown car and spritzed seltzer all over the audience. She looked like a drunken marionette. My first rule is that if you can't sing the song any better than I could, you lose. (And I have a pretty good low register, if I do say so myself.)

Poor Stevie, trying to be young; she took a new song by a young person and sang it as if she were actually Taylor Swift's mom trying to be hip at the high school dance. "Moooooooommmmmm, stop for god's sake please stop..." The poor girl, she's already 35. Nothing's the matter with that, but it won't win Idol.

Our favorite was "Every Little Thing (s)he Does is Magic," a happy song turned into a forced march of pain. True fact - the studio where the video was filmed was later buried by lava in a volcanic eruption. That kind of describes how I felt watching the song wrestled to the ground and stomped until it stopped twitching.

As we were waiting for the final decision, Ladybug was giggling watching Gokay roll his eyes at teh crazee. I couldn't stop calling him Goku instead and thought he should go Super-Saiyen and throw Tatiana into a moon or something. (When I start water coolering the show he will be known as Dragonball G.)