Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Just Don't

One of the weird things I do during tax season to measure time passing is to listen to my iPod straight through...every song with no skips. Last year I sorted by artist, this year I sorted by song title.

I have reached the "don't" section of my song list. That is all the songs titles that begin with the word "don't." There are a surprising number of them, and it reads like a list of rules. As I keep hearing the word "don't" repeated over and over, I am starting to feel like I am being scolded.

So of course I feel the need to share that scolding with you. So, courtesy of my iPod, here are the rules for today. Follow them, and no one gets hurt:

DON'T ask me why

DON'T be cruel

DON'T bring me down

DON'T come around here no more

DON'T cry out loud

DON'T do me like that

DON'T fear the reaper

DON'T go away mad (just go away)

DON'T go breaking my heart

DON'T leave me this way

DON'T let me be lonely tonight

DON'T let the sun go down on me

DON'T stand so close to me

DON'T stop 'til you get enough

DON'T stop believin'

DON'T tread on me

DON'T worry baby

DON'T you forget about me


Just...DON'T. Okay?

5 comments:

Cullen said...

BRRRRRRUCE! What the hell is up with that Bruce guy?

The Fifth String said...

Interesting story on that BRRRRRUUUUCCCEEE thing (it may not have been "Bruce" at all). But are you sure that's the right "Don't Bring Me Down" and not the Eric Burdon song?

And BTW, where is "Don't Let Me Down"?

Maggie May said...

The Don't Bring Me Down I was referring to was ELO.

Oh, and this was not a comprehensive list, but a sampling. There were many other "Don't" songs on my iPod...although not "Don't Let Me Down." Looks like I need to hit the old download...again!

The Fifth String said...

If you've never heard the Eric Burdon version (and it seems like a lot of people haven't) you can hear a snippet here.

nightfly said...

Hey just don't stop 'til you get enough. ;)