Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Presents

December 26th...a present in itself. I needed to come back to work to get a break. I have spent the last four days on my feet, running around, cooking, cleaning, etc. I am exhausted!

But still, it was a strange but wonderful Christmas.

Strange, because this was the first Christmas in my entire life that I haven't spent at least some time with my parents. They recently moved to the Midwest, and traveling west for Christmas was not an option. It was odd, not having them here, and there was a definite hole in the festivities, but I was grateful to know that this was not a permanent absence. It isn't as if they have died, and we will never spend Christmas together again. I know many people who are in that place, so it would be selfish of me to be too whiny over one little year. My grandfather was here, which helped. It still felt like my family was around me, but it wasn't the same.

Yet it was wonderful in it's own way.

My nearly two year old granddaughter was a complete joy. She was so fun with the presents...everything was a thrill for her, and consequently, us. She even got a thrill out of our presents. When CO opened his Guitar Hero III, she took one look at that guitar controller and said "Papa rocks!"

Uhm, he doesn't, by the way. We all pretty much suck at that game.

But his granddaughter thinks he does, and that is all that matters.

As for me, I got many fantastic gifts...a plane ticket to see my parents, money, thoughtful gifts from my boys. But the one I am especially thankful for, is the one I received from my in-laws. For the first time since the incident, they treated me as if it had never happened. I was warmly welcomed, and included, and...forgiven. That is a gift I feared I would never receive, and one I wondered if I even deserved. At any rate, it is the best gift they have ever given me, and I am thankful for it.

Now if we can only work through the issues that started the incident to begin with. Hmmm, maybe next year.

Oh, and I also got annual passes to the Happiest Place on Earth. Who couldn't love that?

I take it back. Papa does rock!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have grandkids AND a living grandparent?

That is so cool.

My lovely Auntie has two great-great-grandchildren

Maggie May said...

Yes I do! And that IS very, very cool.

I am a lucky girl!

athena said...

I'm so heartened to hear about the way your in-laws treated you. That is SUCH great news to me! YAY!