Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Surprise 25...or Another Music Post

But this one is not a guess the lyrics or trivia thing. It was just a strange realization thing.

My iPod has this "smart playlist" feature that tells you the 25 most played songs on your iPod. I have had my iPod for almost a year, and had never looked at that playlist before, but something possessed me to open it the other day.

I was truly surprised by some of the songs that showed up there. If you asked me, I probably would not have included most of these songs in a list of my favorites. It was strange to realize I listened to them that much.

The list (in order):

1) Don't Worry Baby, The Beach Boys
2) Neon Moon, Brooks and Dunn
3) Chantilly Lace, Big Bopper
4) Wave on Wave, Pat Green
5) Nights on Broadway, Bee Gees
6) Remember When, Alan Jackson
7) Carefree Highway, Gordon Lightfoot
8) Weekend in New England, Barry Manilow
9) You Needed Me, Anne Murray
10) Nine Tonight, Bob Seger
11) Baby-I'm-A Want You, Bread
12) If I Should Fall Behind, Bruce Springsteen
13) All Through the Night, Cyndi Lauper
14) I Don't Need You, Kenny Rogers
15) Young and Innocent, Elefante
16) Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
17) All My Little Words, The Magnetic Fields
18) Only the Good Die Young, Billy Joel
19) Better Days, Bruce Springsteen
20) Tiny Dancer, Elton John
21) Suspicious Minds, Elvis Presley
22) Do You Wanna Touch Me?, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
23) If You Know What I Mean, Neil Diamond
24) Rave On, Buddy Holly
25) Time of the Season, The Zombies

So there it is. I find it strange to look upon. And I wonder, what does this list say about me?

If you were to ask me, I'd tell you I am not a country music fan. I truly believe this to be true. Yet there are 5 country songs on this list...including numbers 2, 4 and 6. I am telling you, I am shocked by this revelation!

Also, there is way more "easy listening" type stuff than I would ever admit to listening to in real life. My only explanation is that I listen to my iPod primarily at work, a place where I often need to chill.

I am not surprised to find that only two songs on the list are from the last decade. I like the old stuff. 5 or 6 of these songs were released before I was even born. Many are form the 70's, which is my favorite musical decade. A few are from my high school years, and bring back all those memories. Speaking of memories...7 of these remind me of CO...and 1 is even our wedding song. 1 song reminds me of my parents.

I am surprised there are no songs that remind me of my college years on here. I look back on that period of my life, and the music that reminds me of it, with tremendous fondness. I would have expected to see something of that here.

I am also a little curious as to why 1 song that reminds me of an ex-boyfriend is on here? I don't recall thinking of him overly much in the last year. It must be subliminal. I won't share that part with CO ;)

So what is on your most played list? Are they your favorites, or were you equally surprised?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny! I am going to have to check mine out. I almost always listen to mine in shuffle mode though. And if a song comes on but I skip it does it still record it as playing?? I have been too lazy so far to set up a "workout" playlist so I skip a lot when I am doing that.
Oh...... and you have me VERY curious as to which song was from your wedding!

Lori

Maggie May said...

Our wedding song..."Do You Wanna Touch Me?"

Ha! Just kiddin'. It was the Bruce Springsteen song, "If I Should Fall Behind."

But in retrospect, it would have been way cooler to have "Do You Wanna Touch Me?"

Oh, and no, it does NOT record skips as plays. You have to listen to the whole song to change the count.

Anonymous said...

What's a iPod? [/geezer]

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask if it was "Do You Wanna Touch Me?" LOL My boss's second wife walked down the aisle to the song Wild Thing. He is now on wife #3 and they have ALL been cuh-razy.

nightfly said...

My wife and I and all our wedding party walked into our reception to a Yoko Kanno song called "What Planet Is This?" - but we were more traditional about the first dance!

If I had an iPod I would love to see the top 25. If I still had my old computer I could check the playcounts in Media Player and give it to you, but alas. My guess is that it's odd.