Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Unexpected Gift


This is her...the NEW dog, but I'll bet you had that figured out already.
So how did we come by this carpet destroying dog? She strolled into the shop in which CO works the week before Thanksgiving. She hung out there for a few days, while CO and the crew waited for someone to come claim her. When no one did, CO sadly told me he was going to have to take her to the pound. Now I realize this was a ploy, because he sighed and added what a good dog she was, and how terrible it would be, and yadda yadda yadda. But even though I knew it was a ploy, I played along.
"Bring her home," I said. "Let's see how it goes."
The rest is history. We did call the pound and leave our number in case anyone came looking for her, and I did check the newspapers and online dog finder services. I even took her to the vet to check for a microchip (and to get shots when none was found), but secretly, I was glad no one claimed her.
Her name is Dingo, and I officially love her...carpet not withstanding.
As best we (and the vet) can tell, she is a purebred Australian Cattle Dog (aka Queensland or Blue Heeler), and she is about 9 months old. She is an absolute love...very affectionate, and excellent with the grandkids. One night near Christmas, the Puddin' Pop comes into the room "walking" the dog...or more accurately pulling her around by the collar. Dingo was obediently following her, despite the fact that an almost 3 year old isn't all that gentle. She sleeps on the bed with us...something our other two dogs don't much care for, and she cuddles. It's wonderful! She also sits on our laps...something the other two dogs are too big for.
It's funny...CO and I always swore two dogs was plenty, and three dogs was way too many. We never would have sought out a third dog. Yet we needed her. It is the unexpected gifts, that are always the best.
Note* I don't know why this post will not format correctly. It keeps deleting my paragraph separators, and I don't have time to screw with it. If you've read this far with the dysfunctional formatting, I thank you, and I apologize for being a dumbass.

9 comments:

Cullen said...

When I told J-Mom that you named your dog Dingo she laughed for a full minute and said, "That is the most awesome name for a dog."

nightfly said...

Hello puppy! You got a cutie pie there. The digging was possibly an abandonment issue, which I'm sure you will all resolve in short order.

Maggie May said...

Cullen, I cannot tell you HOW many times I have said "The dingo ate my baby!" over the past six weeks. Tell J-Mom thanks.

And thanks to you Nightfly...we think she's pretty cute as well. Oh, and have a nice night, puppy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Awww, she's so cute.

I know lots of people who have Aussie Sheepdogs and they all seem to love them a lot.

And yeah, the "Dingo ate my baby" joke occurred to me. But the name makes sense given her breed.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet face.

Growing up on a farm several of our neighbors had Blue Heelers and they are very smart. Too bad you don't own any cattle. :)

Maggie May said...

Julie, I almost wish we did have some cattle, because then she wouldn't try to herd me. She runs right around my feet, trying to make me stop, or go another way, and when she is trying to get my attention, she nips at my hands. It doesn't hurt, but it bugs when you are trying to get something accomplished.

Kate P said...

Awww, what a sweet face! She's a herder, huh? Does she do that bed-check thing at night--everybody has to be where they're supposed to? My cousins' dog (sheltie) is like that.

The Fifth String said...

What a sweetie!

Jayne said...

Oh, she's adorable! And I love her name.