Friday, March 28, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Life - Track 7

Don't Worry Baby, The Beach Boys
I never would have put this song on the list a year ago. But then a few months ago, I clicked the playlist on my iPod that tracks the 25 Most Played Songs, and here this was...the number 1 most played song on my list. I was puzzled.

Then the more I thought of it, I wasn't. I do like this song...I just don't know why. Of course it is almost impossible not to be happy when you are listening to the Beach Boys, but beyond that general vague joy, it is does not evoke a strong emotional response. Nor has it any deep meaning for me. It is not associated with an old boyfriend. I did not lose my virginity to this song. It did not play at my wedding. The Beach Boys were a staple on our family car trips, but this particular song does not stick out from any of the others. It does not remind me of my kids.

So why? Why do I apparently listen to this song more than any other?

Maybe because they talk about racing, and I do love me some racing. Or maybe because it is so reassuring...Don't worry, Baby. The message is that as long as you have each other, you will get through it...and who doesn't love that message.

Or maybe I just like it. It might be that simple.

And any song that is the number one played song on your iPod, belongs on the top 101 list...even if you can't figure out why.

She told me "Baby, when you race today
Just take along my love with you
And if you knew how much I loved you, Baby
Nothing could go wrong with you"

Oh what she does to me
When she makes love to me
And she says "Don't worry, Baby"

Don't worry, Baby
Don't worry, Baby
Everything will turn out alright


Let's hope so!

No comments: