Thursday, August 28, 2008

People Suck

My week at a continuing education seminar last week reminded me of something I sometimes forget...I don't like people.

Oh, I like individual persons just fine, but people as a whole, not so much. People en mass are rude and obnoxious and annoying. You know what I'm talking about.

For example, there is the diagonal street crosser. You're driving around the parking lot, looking for an empty spot, and you have to wait for someone to cross the street. But do they go straight across quickly, allowing you to pass in the least possible amount of time? Oh no, they cross in a long diagonal, taking as much space and time as humanly possible. Who cares about anyone else's time...it's all about them, isn't it?

Another example is the crowd pusher. You know the one. You're all standing around, waiting for the conference room to open so you can go in and get a seat...hundreds of you, waiting for the same thing. Or maybe there are fifty people waiting to board a plane. Whatever. Then along comes the crowd pusher...the person who insists on pushing their way to the front of the crowd, as if they alone are waiting, and their mere presence will get things rolling. The rest of the crowd is apparently standing around because they have nothing better to do, but the crowd pusher, they are busy. They need to get the show on the road. To hell with everyone else.

There are also the talker/knuckle cracker/nail clipper/disgusting nasal sound/cell phone answerers. These are the folks who make themselves heard during a formal presentation. Someone poor schlep is standing before a group of people, presenting information that may be valuable to those listening, when a group of talkers burst out in barely quieted conversation. We are not talking whispers here, we are talking normal speaking voices.

Or, as an alternative, they sit and crack their knuckles repeatedly, or take the opportunity to clip their fingernails. It always seems to go on forever, leaving me wondering exactly what kind of mutant is sitting in the audience. How many digits does this freak show actually have, because I have counted up to 37 clips already?

Or perhaps they decide to answer their loudly ringing cell phone with a full and boisterous "Hello? Oh, nothing...what are you doing?"

Or maybe they have that annoying and grotesque personal habit of clearing their phlegm filled throat or snorting their nasal mucus every 45 seconds. I try so hard to ignore it, because on some level, I know they cannot help it, but it's like trying to fall asleep when something is dripping or a dog is barking. You hope you won't hear the sound again, but you find you whole body is tensed up waiting for it...you can't focus on anything else, and just as you start to relax, and believe it is over, there is that sound again.

Not to be left out, there is Mr. Boob Gawker. Ladies, you are familiar with this man. This is the older man standing next to you in the crowd, sometimes with his wife standing right next to him, who cannot stop staring at your boobs. And what is a person supposed to do about this, I ask you? Do you stare him down? It won't matter! He will never notice, because he isn't looking at your face to see that you are staring him down in the first place.

So you see what I mean. Persons are fine, but people...people are horrible, inconsiderate assholes! It makes me want to hole up in my house and never venture out again. People suck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there is the Leg Jiggler.

The person who, either through over-caffeination, hyperactivity, or some other kind of ailment, canNOT sit still, but bounce one leg up and down with an amplitude similar to that of a hummingbird's wings.

KEEEL. THEM. ALLLLLL.

I learned, in college - especially in the classes where they cheaped out and had the row of desk-chair-things all bolted to each other, to do my best to never sit in the same row as one of these dudes. (And usually it IS a dude, I don't know why).

There was one guy in my freshman chem class...I still remember him. I'd have to wait until he was already in class and seated before coming in, because if I came in first, he'd sit near me and drive me nuckin' futz the whole hour with his bouncy-bouncy leg.

(I suppose dude had a crush on me, or something - that's why he liked to sit close. But I'm sorry, that level of nervous energy is a total dealbreaker for me.)

Anonymous said...

This could not be more appropriate for how I feel today. I haven't even been dealing with people in groups but individual persons that are rude and self-centered and it's pissing me off. And people wonder why I am such a bitch! lol

Anonymous said...

I so agree. I, like Lori, have had my fill of rude ass people the last two days. Your topic couldn't be more timely for me.

Never had the Boob Gawker thing happen though...hmmm...wonder why. ;)

Cullen said...

OK. I can be the leg jiggler guy. I can also be the nose sniffer guy. It's not intentional on either fronts. The leg jiggle is quite unconscious and I'll stop when I notice it. The nose sniffing ... well, I get allergies.

But yeah, I don't like it when other people do it.

Maggie May said...

A thousand times YES to the leg jiggler.

And a note to those with allergies (Cullen), it isn't so much a simple sniffle. I understand that cannot be helped, and we have all been there. I am talking about the enormous snot snort...that gross sound that you know is accompanied by them horking up a half pound of snot and then...swallowing it.

I know that's NASTY...sorry, but you know what I am talking about. You've heard this sound.

Joel said...

Maggie, may I speak in partial defense of the boob-gazer? Being a woman, you may not realize how difficult it is not to do that. Not only are we biologically wired to look at breasts (an impulse which a gentleman can and should keep under control), but our comparative height also makes the trap easier to fall into. Think of the angle from the eyes of a six-foot-plus man to yours, and then the angle from his eyes to your bosom, and you'll see they're awfully close. It takes some serious self-discipline to keep the eyes elevated.