Tuesday, September 2, 2008

More on B-O-O-B Gawking

In my last post, I wrote about being annoyed by Mr. B-o-o-b Gawker. My blog friend, Joel, offered a plausible explanation in the comments section regarding genetic wiring and height differentials. It is important to note that Joel also said this is an impulse men should keep under control, so he wasn't condoning the practice, just explaining it.

Of course this is an excellent explanation, and one to which I can mostly subscribe.

Let's face it, even women look at other women's breasts. At least I do. Sometimes, you just can't miss them. Some women put them on display such that it is impossible to miss them. All that is missing are spotlights and a turntable. I may have even fallen into this category myself once or twice.

The difference, of course, is that when a woman notices another woman, it is usually just because the other pair is noteworthy, and very little fascination is involved. We can simply glance, then look away. We women have our very own set. No need to get too invested in someone else's.

Whereas men...well it is different. I get that. I do understand some level of curiosity from men. And some level of looking is probably acceptable to most women. Something between a glance and a glimpse. Even a series of a few covert peeks or fleeting looks. (Ladies...opinions?)

I cannot speak for all women, but this is something I can live with. I can maybe even muster up some vague feelings of flattery...although not much, because you guys will look at anything. Seriously. You will.

But what my last post was talking about, and what I cannot abide is the gawker. This is the man who just flat out stares. Nothing covert. Nothing secretive. Just full on gaping.

And it would even be different if I was in display mode...If you're going to put the goodies on display, they are going to get seen, no two ways about it. But this was a professional conference, and I was appropriately covered. What made it worse, is that we were in a crowd of people waiting to get into a closed conference room. We stood in very close proximity for like five minutes, and I couldn't move, because there were too many people pressed around us. But still the man just stared. I was very uncomfortable. I wanted to slap him. If I had had water, I might have thrown it at him.

In this case the height differential Joel spoke of was reversed...at 5'10'' I am as tall as your average man, and this particular man was slightly shorter. Maybe that made it even worse. I don't know.

So men, my point is, go ahead and glance. Feel free. It is in your nature, and I understand. Whatever. Just don't GAWK. It's obnoxious, and it makes us feel icky. So don't do it!

3 comments:

Kate P said...

Yeah, my cousin's wife is on the tall side and has mentioned the gawking at her chest. She hates it when she's trying to shop and get help from the counterperson, and the dude is staring. That store won't get repeat business from her.

Joel said...

Twice in my life I've dated women almost my own height (I'm six-three), and I wasn't plagued with the same problem even though both of them were decidedly top-heavy. I snuck glimpses, but managed not to gawk.

On the other hand, one of them married my friend who was five-four, and the wedding pictures - where her bosom is about even with his eyebrows - show him with an expression on his face I can't describe. "Leer" falls utterly short. I guess tall women have that to contend with, as well. (How about it, Julie?)

Anonymous said...

I don't get B-O-O-B gawked because I am tall I just don't have much to look at. I am a member of the I.B.T.C.

Now, if you want to talk about buns, I think Sir Mix A-Lot wrote that song about me. ;)