Friday, September 26, 2008

I DON'T Want to Talk About It!

I know what you're thinking, and I don't want to talk about it.

I love Trojan Football. And like anything you love, it has the ability to hurt you...deeply. Last night during the game, I developed actual hives on my forearm. I am not kidding. Today, I have a stomach ache. It isn't as bad as the one I had after this game, but still.

Then I have to come to work today and endure the torture of everyone in the freaking office parading by my door with their hideous cackles of laughter over my team's demise, and for my part, I have to smile and pretend I find this all very funny.

I don't.

To quote my college roommate, who called me at half-time last night, "This isn't fucking funny!"

No. It isn't.

But I can't say this at work, or I am labeled a bitch. And if I try to explain how these fringe haters don't understand, because they didn't go to USC, and thus could never possibly understand the level of intensity, devotion and emotional investment I have in this football team...well then I am labeled a crazy bitch.

Maybe I am. See I love Trojan football, but I do not like it. I have completely lost the joy in victory...for it is expected, but the agony of defeat...that one I totally get. While I still love Pete Carroll, I am very disappointed in him. Did this team learn nothing two years ago when OSU did this very same thing to them? Seriously? NOTHING?

I think I have developed an ulcer. I need to lie down.

5 comments:

Kate P said...

You're not gonna believe this--the high school where I'm student teaching also calls their team the Trojans. It's in a different area from where I live, so I couldn't find the results for the football game in the newspaper last weekend. I felt so bad when I asked Monday morning if they'd won, and was told they'd lost! Wahhh.

The Fifth String said...

[damn, not sure why I didn't scroll down to this post before]

No matter what, we'll always have this one.

Whenever my Bro-in-law the Notre Dame fan, gets out of line, I just mention "1974".

The Fifth String said...

Yes, I am a Trojan fan. And damned proud of it!

The Fifth String said...

And I was watching that game in real time. I was so upset I almost turned the TV off before halftime.

I'm glad I didn't :)

Maggie May said...

Ahhh, yes, Ken. That game was a beaut!

I guess we need to cling to those memories during times like these.

I remember hearing the ND coach saying how much he hated that damn horse after Travler spent the second half running madly around the stadium. Hee hee.