Monday, September 22, 2008

Living the Life

CO and I spent our weekend at a car show. Not unusual or noteworthy in and of itself, but then, a car pulls up near us, and that is where the story begins.

It was a white, 1980's kit car of some sort (I am not the car aficionado, and I don't recall CO saying anything but "kit car" when asked what it was). Anyway, there were no doors. The roof lifts up in some weird spaceshippy way to allow access in and out of the car. So up goes the roof, and this guy steps out.

He had a full blown mullet, adorned with a black and white checkered bandanna around his forehead. He wore a single long earring, a muscle shirt with a faded band logo on it, and acid-washed jeans. He had leather driving gloves with the fingers cut out on his hands, and a leather wrist band with silver spikes. He wore black high top tennis shoes of some sort...not Converse, but something I have not seen on feet since high school, that I am sure they don't make any more. The kind with padding around the ankles for comfort.

The car seats were covered in balck and white leopard print fabric, and there was a matching steering wheel cover.

I could kick myself for not taking pictures. You really had to see it to appreciate it. I was too mesmerized by the scene to even reach for the camera. Besides, I was too busy straining to hear if the Miami Vice Theme was issuing from the car, a la The Wedding Singer. It wasn't, but it really should have been. It would have made the moment perfect.

The sad thing was, I got the distinct impression that this was not a costume, but a lifestyle. There was the mullet, you see. I mean you can't just grow a mullet for a weekend. It has to be planned in advance...with intent and purpose.

Soon...too soon really, for I was not done giggling, the dude gets back in his car, and pulls back onto the cruise route, cutting off another car, and about taking him out in the process. The roof lifts up just a tiny bit, and I see the guy's passenger, presumably his wife, holding up a sign facing backwards to the car they just rudely cut off, reading "Let Me In." She then flips it over so that it reads "Thanks," and they zoom off.

Me: "If you start dressing like that, I am not coming to any more car shows. And I am certainly not holding up signs that say 'Let Me In' and 'Thanks.' There is supporting your spouse and then..."

CO: "...and then there is enabling your spouse."

Me: "Exactly."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. The sign really puts it over the edge. You just can't make stuff up like this Maggie. Pictures would have been great but your description was good enough to give me a perfect visual image.

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!!! OMG! That is the funniest thing I've heared of in a long time! I so wish you had pictures. I don't know how you weren't rolling out of your lawn chair laughing!

Maybe the mullet was a wig. We can only hope! I wonder how the wife was dressed. When you described the shoes all I could think of were LA Gears. Remember them??

Cullen said...

I realize this guy was over the top, but have you looked at the kids' clothes racks lately? The 80s are making a comback in a big way. J-Mom and I were in Target the other night and were just shocked at how 80s all the clothes are looking. I can only pray the mullet does not make it back. I can handle jellies, parachute pants, satin jackets and poofy hair, but mullets would be tough.

nightfly said...

At first, when you said "Holding up a sign saying 'let me in,' I thought it was a euphamism. Knowing it was an actual sign is absolutely fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I half expected you to say that when he accelerated, the car got all long and stringy, and then vanished in a puff of blue...like the Delorean in "Back to the Future."

"You can't grow a mullet over a weekend" - true that. I had a friend who was kind of obsessed with mullets, she knew all kinds of mullet lore, knew which famous people had sported one. "Business in the front, party in the back" was how she described it.

Cullen said...

Enter, if you dare:

http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

Kate P said...

Unbelievable. And hilarious.