Friday, May 23, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Life - Tracks 19 - 20

Time for another entry from my 101 Best Loved Songs list. I considered playing on yesterday's 70's theme, but as I looked over my list, I discovered another theme that seems more pressing.

The American Idol finale always has several performances from established vocalists who usually have a new album coming out, and are tripping over all the other music industry acts to play a single from said new album in front of an audience of 37 million viewers. I'll bet six years ago, they couldn't pay these stars enough to be on the show. Who would have guessed.

Anyway, two of this year's performers turned up on my 101 list, so...

Summer of '69 (Bryan Adams)
From the first time I heard this song, I loved it. It probably had something to do with the fact that I was born in the Summer of '69, so there was that instant connection.

Also, it was released in the U.S. in the summer of '85, when I was a teenager who was, at long last, old enough to drive. I spent time in Colorado with my friends, and those shiny new driver's licenses bought us freedom we had never before known. It was glorious. And this song seemed to be playing on the radio the whole time.
Oh when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Ya, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life


Father Figure (George Michael)
After his odd performance on A.I. the other night, and his odd behavior over the years, I am almost embarrassed to admit to this one. But it is on my list, so I might as well embrace it.

This song was released in 1987, and coincides with my first, more-than-just-a-crush, love, as well as my first, uhm, well, s-e-x. Sorry, Mom. I won't bore you, or further embarrass myself, with the details. If you've ever heard this song, and put it into this context, well, I'm guessing you get the picture.

That's all you wanted
Something special, someone sacred
In your life
Just for one moment
To be warm and naked
At my side

Sometimes I think that you'll never
understand me
But something tells me together we'd be happy

And he didn't understand me, but for a few years, we were happy. Ahhh, young love. More about him in another post, as there is a second song on my 101 list that belongs to my first love.

Anyway, all this, and the fact that my roommate and college BFF had a raging crush on Mr. Michael. She had a giant poster of him on the wall, and drug me along to see him in concert. That was before his, uhm...gay revelation, of course. Still, when I think of him, I think of her, and while my first love did not last (thankfully), that friendship did (also, thankfully).
I will be the one who loves you until the end of time.

No comments: