Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can I See What's Behind Door Number 2?

As heard on a television commercial for one of those "technical institutes." I won't say which one:

"Upon graduating some of our graduates are ready for jobs in the ____ industry."

Only some?

Some of our graduates are intelligent and prepared, whereas others are boneheaded idiots upon whom we bestowed degrees simply to get them out of our hair...oh, and because they paid us, of course. You guess which is which.

Oh, sorry! You were sooooo close. Care to try again?

Uhmmm, that would be NO!

This advertisement would not inspire me to hire a graduate from this institution. I think one of their graduates come up with this marketing campaign.

Some of our graduates are clever and witty, while some...

They may want to rethink this approach...to both the marketing and the quality of education they are providing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I see your point about the particular phrasing in this ad. OTOH, I've worked with Ph.D.s from some of the finest, elitest universities in the world and, to put it quite bluntly, some of them are quite useless.

Anonymous said...

I believe society has lowered expectations. It is sad and frustrating. Yet the rest of us that have been brought up with decent moral ethics are forced to deal with these nimrods everyday.

Anonymous said...

I suspect it's a CYA so that grads who DON'T get jobs can't go back and complain, "But your ad said I'd get a job!"

One of the sad things about education now? Some of the students think that way - you throw your money at the bursar, you go and sit in class, and you're entitled to a job at the end of it. Completely passive. No idea that the money they're paying doesn't buy them a grade or a sheepskin, but just a seat in the classroom and the OPPORTUNITY to learn.

One thing I've learned is that WHERE you went to school matters much less than WHAT YOU DID while you were there. Someone who's just warming his ass at Harvard will not achieve as much as the kid who goes to Podunk State and works hard, asks questions, takes the opportunity for research and internships, and makes an effort to take the most challenging classes.

Sorry, kind of ranty. But I get so tired of folks who think the world owes 'em a living, just because they went to college.

Maggie May said...

I totally agree with you guys. I was taking issue with the phrasing of the ad, more than anything. And if they truly believe that only SOME of their students are prepared, then they should take another look at the educational process this specific institution is providing.

Many of the technical institutes provide a great education in their varying fields. It's just THIS one I am wondering about after hearing that ad.

Certainly education is what you make it. And I too have encountered university graduates who were complete boneheads. The dumbest intern I ever had was a 4.0
student and class valedictorian. No amount of education will buy you common sense.

I also agree with Julie. Maybe this is a societal lowering of expectations. Realistically, not every graduate is going to be successful. But is seems odd to me to admit that up front in the ad. It's like they've given up.

Eh...some will do fine, and that's the best we can hope for, so...