Monday, January 7, 2008

Songs Everyone Should Own - January 7

I won't be doing weekends until February. Believe me, it will be here soon enough. In the mean time...weekdays only.

Nights on Broadway - Bee Gees

Nightfly mentioned the Bee Gees in a comment on a previous post, so I thought it was a good time to throw them into the mix (an all alphabetical, too), because there is definitely some mandatory Bee Gees out there! My pick is Nights on Broadway, which is also my award winner for the best stalker song of all time.

Now some of you may argue that Every Breath You Take is the best stalker song, and I will admit, it deserves consideration. But where Every Breath You Take has a straight up scary stalker, claiming threatening things like "you belong to me," the Nights on Broadway stalker stalks, then absolves himself of guilt all in a few short lines.

Here we are
In a room full of strangers
Standing in the dark
Where your eyes couldn't see me

Well, I had to follow you
Though you did not want me to
But that won't stop my lovin' you
I can't stay away

Blamin' it all on the nights on Broadway

This is much less threatening, because it isn't his fault, you see. It's the nights on Broadway's fault, and he just can't stay away, so the stalking is all okay.

At least this is what he tells the judge when he gets hauled in for violating his retraining order.

No comments: