Thursday, January 3, 2008

Songs Everyone Should Own - January 1-3

Since we are already at January 3, I thought I'd start off with three songs, just to keep us on track.

I will sort of be starting in alphabetical order by artist, just because I am glancing down the playlist here, but I will jump around as the mood strikes.

Dancing Queen - ABBA

One of the all time best songs ever. Seriously. It is one of my ringtones.

Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for the place to go
Where they play the right music, getting in the swing
You come in to look for a King
Anybody could be that guy
Night is young and the music's high
With a bit of rock music, everything is fine
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance...
You are the Dancing Queen,


Every woman out there has likely had the chance to identify with this song at one time or another. Who doesn't want to be the danging queen, at least once, in their life?


You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC

Along the same lines as Dancing Queen, I think every woman has wanted to be this woman at least once in their life, too.

She was a fast machine,
She kept her motor clean,
She was the best damn woman that I ever seen...

But the walls were shaking,
The earth was quaking,
My mind was aching,
And we were making it and you...

Shook me all night long,

When I hear this song, I am instantly back in college. I loved my college years in a way I cannot possibly explain, so anything that takes me back there is near and dear to my heart. My roommate and I loved this song...deeply. This song, and one other that will likely appear on this list in the future, always inspired us to, let's say become uninhibited at which point we would shout "I think it's time to dance on the table!" and we would jump up on the nearest coffee table and dance with abandon. It didn't matter where we were. Luckily, we were all in college, and no one cared about their furniture in those days.

The point is, I have rarely been so unselfconscious in my life as when this song was playing, and I was standing center stage on that table with my best friend dancing for no one or everyone. It didn't matter. In that moment, I was "a fast machine." I was "walking double time on the seduction line." I was "one of a kind."

I'm sure the alcohol had absolutely nothing...nothing to do with it.

Oh, and this one is also one of my ringtones...used to herald a call from my former co-table dancer.


Heat of the Moment - Asia

Another song from my younger days, that I can only identify with now that I am older and wiser, looking back on those days.

One look from you and I would fall from grace
And that would wipe this smile right from my face

Do you remember when we used to dance
And incidence arose from circumstance
One thing lead to another we were young
And we would scream together songs unsung

It was the heat of the moment
telling me what your heart meant
the heat of the moment shone in your eyes

I can remember feeling like that. How one look from someone...the right someone, could send you spinning. It all seemed so important, so urgent, so uncontrollable. Good judgment sometimes took a back seat. I was so young and foolish, and still growing into these adult emotions. It was such fun...then, but even if I could, I wouldn't go back to all that drama and angst. Would you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do have the first two songs on my Ipod. I thought I was the only closet ABBA fan.

nightfly said...

Not a fanilow, but I dig me the ABBA (and the Bee Gees, for that matter). And I love Dancing Queen: a disco song about rock music. It's beautiful.

Hey, the guys also wrote One Night in Bangkok, so it's not like they were duffers.