Tuesday, August 28, 2007

But I Saved The Dog

Okay, I JUST got into a car accident.

I was driving back to work with my friend D, when a little dog...a puppy, ran in front of my car. I stopped. The guy behind me did NOT.

My car is only mildly hurt...my spare tire took most of the impact, and the only dent is where the tire pushed into the back panel of my car. Yeah Jeep! Oh, and he tore a hole in my spare tire cover...my much beloved tire cover with my alma mater's logo on it. But D and I are fine, so THAT is the important thing.

The dude who hit me has much bigger problems than I. Still, he was actually very cool about the whole thing. I mean technically it was his fault and all, but still. His buddy alluded to the fact that I should have just hit the dog.

I couldn't hit the dog. Seriously. Gut reaction...dog runs in front of car, you try to stop. I don't think I could have played it any differently.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the "buddy" would have stopped the car too. It is a reaction. I would have slammed on the brakes for a squirrel.

Cullen said...

You did the right thing. Although my motivation would have been a bit different, I would have stopped as well.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Julie that it is totally a reaction thing. Although now I am very curious as to what Cullen's motivation to stop would have been!

Cullen said...

My first thought would be about messing up my car, not whether or not I was going to kill the dog. I mean, I'd feel bad about the dog, but I know what my first thought would be. Too many deer around the places I've lived for me to feel differently. Except for people, of course. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah! I also live in the land of deer so I understand. They tell you not to swerve to avoid them but it's hard to override that instinct.
I am reminded of my friend's beloved dog who jumped out of the back of his pickup and ran into the street. A guy in a big pickup hit him and killed him. He then had the nads to yell at my friend (who was near tears) because his dog broke his bumper. What an ass!!

nightfly said...

Lori - holy crow... Like the guy intentionally launched his dog at the guy's truck. What a horse's hinder.

Sorry about the Jeep, but I'm glad you're OK, Maggie.

Maggie May said...

Thanks for the support guys!

Lori - I secon Nightfly's "holy crow"! What is WRONG with people?

At least in this situation everyone is okay...including the dog. And the Jeep can be fixed!