Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hmmmmm

Well the results of the first round of interviews from the mid-west were a bust. It seems last year's plethora of tax manager jobs have been filled, and the remaining ones are still open because they want to play low ball.

I have a few resumes still floating around, but I suspect more of the same from them.

I knew I was taking a risk by not pursuing the jobs last year, when there were like six listings in each city, but we wanted to wait for Melvin to graduate. Turns out I did miss the boat. You mean I wasn't the only person on the planet who saw what a great opportunity this was. Gah!

What's more, I met with the partners of DUH (my current firm) today, and I wasn't so thrilled by their proposal either. They want me to work more, but cut what would be my hourly rate (if I were an hourly employee). Oh yeah...gimme some of that!

I waited too long. Plain and simple. Not only for the reasons listed above, but also for the fact that I find myself in a no-man's-land experience-wise. I have too much, and not enough, if that makes sense. I should have left DUH five years ago, but I was a fool for the loyalty bit, and a fat lot of good it has done me.

The real bummer...I turned down my best offer, because of the "bad vibe" I was getting. I don't regret that. It was important to trust my gut. But still!

I started this job hunt with the false assumption that when all was said and done, one option would be the clear winner. That has not happened. Instead, I have a bunch of losers. I was not expecting that. From here it is all a leap of faith...something I have always been low on.

All hope is not lost, but it is looking more and more like we will be staying where we are. An unfortunate turn of events, I agree. I just have to make myself believe that there is a purpose behind all of this. It's just hard to see right now.

No comments: