Monday, February 25, 2008

And Then There Were Two

Saturday I told you about our 2008 intern crop...the Clown, the Joker, and our precious, drowsy Apple.

What I didn't tell you was that last Thursday, the Clown was a no show no call. He doesn't work on Fridays, but today rolls around, and another no show no call.

So I called HIM.

"Hi Clown. This is Maggie."

Silence.

"From the office?"

Clown: "Oh. Hi, Maggie."

Hmmmm. Hi Maggie. HI, Maggie? That's all I get?

"I was calling to see that you are alright. I was getting worried since you didn't show up for work for two days."

Clown: "Oh. I was meaning to come by and talk to you about that. I didn't want to do it over the phone, because that isn't professional."

Really? You think?

"I understand, Clown, but it is also not professional to go AWOL for two days with no phone call."

Clown: "Yeah...I guess you're right."

Oh, I am.

Turns out, Clown is overwhelmed. This is MUCH harder than he thought it was going to be. He never dreamed that when we told him in the interview he would be expected to work 24 hours a week, that we actually meant for him to work 24 hours a week.

He's tired, you see.

And it's hard, you see.

Oh, I see.

Buh bye, Clown. And good luck. You're gonna need it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. An intern flaking out during the heavy tax season. That's pretty weak.

I have students who tell me I canNOT understand how much pressure they are under taking 9 credit hours a semester. It is all I can do not to laugh. (I averaged 15 when I was a student).

Anonymous said...

The real world is going to hit this Clown hard.

Ricki, they complain about nine credits? I understand that different schools have differing levels of "credit" but when I was in college, 15 credits per quarter was standard.