Monday, February 18, 2008

Caution: Religious Rant Ahead

Some people are unbelievable. Truly.

I know many of you are what I would deem "religious," which in Maggie-ese means that you have a clearly defined faith, that you practice in accordance with the organized rites and rituals of a particular church. So before I get into full rant, none of these comments are directed to you, but to individuals I know personally in my daily life. For the most part, none of my fellow bloggers have ever done anything to contribute to my negative opinion of religion. So please...do not think this is directed at you.

As some of you know, I was raised Catholic, but due to an unfortunate experience with a Catholic school, and more specifically, the priest who ran it, and some of the more widely publicized, uhm, issues of the Church, I have ceased that practice. I have tried a few other religions on for size, but nothing else seems to quite fit, due in part to the fact that I simply cannot get past the bad taste in my mouth.

One thing that seems to add to my religious aversion is many of the religious people I know (and again, I mean the one's I know outside the blogging world...in real life). With few exceptions, they are not nice people. Why is this? I mean, I know we are all human, and thus prone to human error, but some people don't seem to remember this. Some people are incredibly judgmental, hypocritical and just flat out rude, yet they hold themselves up as examples of superiority because they attend church once a week and have a bible next to their beds.

I work with one of the worst examples of Christianity I have had the displeasure to know. Today this "Christian" woman, whom I will call "B," happened upon me and another co-worker, "P" in a conversation. P was telling me two of her granddaughters were attending classes at their church called "Love Can Wait," in which abstinence is taught as an alternative to birth control. She expressed that she hoped this worked better on these two granddaughters than it did on the oldest, who currently lives with her boyfriend without the benefit of marital vows.

B voluntarily injected herself into our conversation, uninvited, to give her esteemed opinion, "Either you have a commitment to the Lord, or you don't." In other words, you are either a good righteous woman, or you are a corrupt whore.

I may be overreacting just a bit, but that is what I heard. I should mention here that B is fond of making these kind of pronouncements, and that she does, in fact, mean to offend, so I am not overreacting as much as it may seem at first glance.

I should also mention here that CO and I lived together before marriage, which B very well knows, and both of our sons live with their respective girlfriends as well, which B also knows.

Now I am not saying that CO and my living situation was ideal, but given that we had been having a long-distance relationship, and I had to move to another state to see if 1) our relationship could move to the next level, and 2) having no parenting experience whatsoever, if I could handle becoming a step-mother to three boys, our only financial recourse was to cohabitate. Nor am I saying that my sons' relationships are ideal...because you know I have concerns.

I am not defending my actions, or the actions of my kids. I don't have to. That isn't even my point.

My point is twofold. First, I will concede that by certain religious standards, I am, in fact, a corrupt whore. Fine. That is between me and God, and it is none of B's damn business. She was not asked for her opinion. She was not even a part of that conversation. And I seem to remember from my Catholic school days, that you should "judge not lest ye be judged." Or something close to that.

I also remember that "he who is without sin should cast the first stone." And THAT is my second point. B has been married three times. No, her first two husbands did not die...she is twice divorced. I on the other hand, corrupt whore that I am, married my CO, and have never been divorced. Who the hell is she to stand in judgment of me, or anyone else? What gives her the right to think she is superior to anyone? Regular church attendance and a bible? I would never begin to hold myself out as an expert, but I hardly think that is Jesus' message.

This is not the first time B has demonstrated her hypocrisy. This is a fairly regular occurrence. she has on various occasions told me that divorce is against "God's plan," alcohol is a tool of the devil (oh, she used to drink quite a lot from what I understand), and that being financially bankrupt is akin to not meeting your obligaitons to God (she filed bankruptcy in 2001).

Normally, I simply ignore her. Today, following a few weeks full of shit that have me twisted in knots, I could not. I told her I would not have this conversation with her, because I took offense to what she had just said.

She owes me an apology. I will never get one, but she owes me one.

Now once, on another individual's blog, in the comments of a post, someone accused me of being a hypocrite myself, and using my past religious, let's call them disappointments, as an excuse for being lazy every Sunday. As a preemptive strike, let me address those issues before they turn up in the comments to this post.

Of course all humans are, at one time or another, guilty of hypocrisy. I do try to limit it as much as possible, but I will not ever claim I am hypocrisy free. No one is. But I am not standing in judgment of someone else's life. I am standing in judgment of being judged. I did not look down my nose at her and proclaim myself a better human being...until now, because now I know that I am a better human being, and if that is hypocritical of me, all I can say is hypocrisy breeds hypocrisy.

Further more, no one has the knowledge to say my religious aversion is just a cop-out. I have spent more time thinking about, studying and struggling with my religious beliefs than most people ever dream of, and I assure you, no decision was made lightly. To suggest I used something of such great importance as a convenient excuse to sleep in on Sunday is highly offensive to me, and frankly no one is in possession of enough knowledge to make such a claim. I feel like I was gracious about it on the other blog, to keep the peace for my host, but please don't go there in my own home.

So...thoughts? Insight? What do I do with this woman?

9 comments:

Cullen said...

Sounds to me like this is the perfect opportunity for a ... girl fight!

Um, seriously, though, I don't know. I mean, nothing you say is going to have any impact on this woman. Sad to say, but I know it's true. I've known too many people like this. They've got the self righteous stick up their ass and no one can convince them otherwise.

My experience is similar to your own. I was raised Baptist and went to private Christian schools most of my youth. But dealing with the rampant hypocrisy is what has kept me religiously ambiguous for the better part of 20 years. And I absolutely do use my religious quarrel to be lazy on Sunday. But, I'm lazy.

Wish I had answers for you.

Anonymous said...

;o) Tell her that you're praying for her...

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to do. This kind of thing makes me sad.

I sometimes deal with people who are people-of-faith who seem to have very specific blind spots (remember the old story about the mote and the beam?). I guess what I do is accept that everyone's screwed up, these folks are no more screwed up and difficult than some non-church-going folks I know, and just deal with the screwed-up people as little as I possibly can.

I wonder if it's partly doctrinal differences. Where I'm coming from, if you have faith, that doesn't mean you're never going to screw up again - it means you know you screwed up in the past, you asked forgiveness and you TRY not to screw up in the future. But I've experienced some folks from some different belief systems where their personal creed seems to be "I'm OK - you're pretty seriously messed up." Where I come from, it seems the attitude is more, "We're all screwed up together, but God still loves us and will forgive us."

I don't know. I wish I had some answers for you. (If I had the answers, I'd write a book and sit back and wait for the royalties to roll in...)

I guess I'm a naturally avoidant person; my inclination would be to avoid the difficult people as much as possible, and if you can't avoid them, just don't talk in their presence. Don't give them any ammunition.

I do like anonymous' suggestion, however.

Anonymous said...

I was raised in a very religious Presbyterian family. My great-grandfather was a highly revered minister in his church. As an adult I have struggled with my beliefs, partly because a lot of elements of organized religion just don't make sense to me logically. When I think back on Sunday school and church from my childhood I can't help but think that it seems like brainwashing.

I have several issues with organized religion but one of the biggest is that many religions teach that they are right and anyone who believes anything else is ignorant and will be denied access to heaven. This in itself breeds self-rightousness and at times even hatred.

I think that this woman's behavior has NOTHING to do with religion. It's a self-esteem boost for her to put down others. She uses her religion as an excuse for her behavior. It's a shield to hide behind while she hurls insults at others. She should be treated no differently than any person who acts that way without playing the "religion card".

Joel said...

Some people would be nasty and pharisaical regardless of their religion. This broad sounds like that sort. The religion may be an excuse, but if she didn't have that, she'd be vile for some other reason.

One thing that occurs to me is that her past marriages (and drinking and so forth) may have occurred before her religious conversion, in which case it's not fair to hold that against her as hypocrisy.

Which doesn't preclude you from detesting her for her current behavior. The very best that can be said of someone like that is that they're self-centered and utterly without tact. And they embarrass those of us who try to practice out religion without getting snotty about it.

Maggie May said...

Thanks so much for the advice. So far, I have not found the appropriate opportunity to speak with her, but I will probably let it go. She'll get hers someday.

I definitely have to find a time to throw the "I'm praying for you" line in however. That will kill her!

CO also has a great suggestion...she is the receptionist, and usually asks us where we are going when we walk past her to leave the office, so she can update her log. CO said I should answer "to hell." I propbably won't do that, but I got a good laugh out of the thought, anyway.

Joel...you had a good point. She did do some of those things before she "found God," and normally, I would not hold these things against her. My point is, that someone who has lived a certain way and made certain mistakes, should have more compassion and understanding for others, not stand in judgment of their behavior. To me that is where the hypocrisy lies.

But you are all right...she would be a nutter with or without religion.

Joel said...

My point is, that someone who has lived a certain way and made certain mistakes, should have more compassion and understanding for others, not stand in judgment of their behavior. To me that is where the hypocrisy lies.

No argument there! Some people have too short a memory.

Joel said...

;o) Tell her that you're praying for her...

Ooh! Ooh! Do one better! Since it sounds like she's probably a fundamentalist, tell her you'll light a candle for her at church. That'll give her the willies.

(Sometimes it's just too easy to be cruel to those people.)

athena said...

Anonymous's suggestion is brilliant, frankly.

MM, you know -- I think -- that I'm a Christian and I have been burned more times than I can count BY fellow Christians. I hold on to faith with frayed fingernails ONLY because of the person of Jesus. Literally, that is why I hold on. I guess it boils down to this:

Just because you have the Holy Spirit doesn't mean you're NOT an ass.

Yes, a person growing in their faith -- in the Christian view of things -- should be becoming "more like Jesus," but some people just never grow or never grow up or let go of bitternesses or whatever. To me, this woman sounds like a big ol' pile of bitter and unforgiveness. It hurts too much to look at all THAT, so she looks at others' flaws or "sins" or whatever. She's a broken person who doesn't want to acknowledge her brokenness and until she does or can, she won't ever be any different. I believe the Holy Spirit could heal her broken places, but she isn't willing to let him. She's prefers her cold dogma and pat judgments because it's safe for her.

That she won't be any different doesn't help you, unfortunately. But actually, telling her you're praying for her and then really doing it might make things more manageable for YOU. Tell GOD to deal with her because you can't.

Because really ... you can't. Does any of this make sense? Hope so.