Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Idol Chit Chat...Top 6

It's weird how skipping just one week made me feel out of the loop. Who are these people again? How do I feel about them?

But they start to sing, and I remember how I feel about them. I feel indifferent, disappointed, revolted, annoyed, sad, and joyful.

First, indifference...also known as Sayesha. Last night, I must admit, she was very good. I agree with Randy. I think Broadway may be her thing.

Second, disappointed...also known as Jason. I liked him so much in the beginning. He was different. He was interesting. Now, what was once different has become boring...he is the same old thing every week, and the worst pure vocalist of the people left. Last night he exhibited poor song choice. Memory is one of the most well known Broadway tunes out there, and it is a big song with big notes...none of which he attempted, nor was capable of, I think. It was, well, disappointing.

Third, revulsion...in the form of David Archuleta. I may have mentioned this previously, once or twice, but just in case I was somehow unclear or vague, or you weren't in tune with my subtleties, let me reiterate. I seriously DO NOT LIKE this whinny, manipulative, little cry baby. I know...I can be hard to read, hiding my feelings as I do. And, yes, I do realize he can sing, BUT, every other singer in this competition has been challenged to come out of their comfort zone, and sing something that isn't their thing...except David A. Every week he gets away with singing a sappy ballad. The one single week he attempted something remotely upbeat, he sucked. He could never sing a rock song. This would be a good year for Queen week...if only to expose this kid for the one trick pony that he is. WHY does everyone think he is so great? I would rather slit my wrists with a plastic spork than pay a single penny to hear him sing.

Moving on to annoyance...or Carly. I don't know why she bugs me so, but she always has. It started out with the fact that she has had record contracts before, and I don't know that she deserves this chance, and was exacerbated by the hideous fashion choices, the overage of tats, that weird face she makes when she goes for the big notes (it's the shape of her mouth and the crooked teeth, which I know she can't help, but still just BUGS), the waxing and waning "Oyrish" accent, that seems more pronounced when she thinks it will work to her advantage, and lately, the "poor, picked-on, pitiful me" card she's been playing. She sang alright last night; her clothes were better; and given the choice between her and David A., I would vote for her a million times over, but I still don't really like her.

Then there is sad...oh so sad, Brooke. She is another one I loved in the beginning...her folksy sound recalled artists of the 70's I loved...Carly Simon, Carole King, etal. The night she sang that acoustic version of Love is a Battlefield, I almost peed myself, I loved it so much. Then, somewhere after Let it Be, she started to fall apart...and it has been so sad to watch. So sad. She seems like a genuinely nice person, and I think her face is just angelic and lovely, but I think her time has come to depart. Last night's restart (the second of the season), and another declining performance, just showed that she is in her head too much, and she can't take the pressure. She is starting to look like she is going to cry every week, and one cry baby is already one too many, I think.

Finally, some joy...in the form of David Cook. Last night was not his best performance, but it was good. And it showed his adaptability to other styles, which he has, unlike some people. He was not my front runner in the beginning, but he has given some stellar performances that have recruited me to his side. I would pay to hear him. In fact I have already...having downloaded three of his performances so far. I don't think he will win (rockers don't seem to win this competition, even when they should), but he will fair much better in the post A.I. world than the brat who, it sickens me to say, probably will win (gotta love those tweener votes). But regardless of the outcome, David C. has all of my votes at this point. I can't imagine anything that would change that this late in the season.

And I think he may have Pauler's votes too.

Pauler: "You have a wonderful instrument."

MM: "And you can sing, too."

3 comments:

nightfly said...

With you on the Crown Prince. "We Can Work It Out" was such a disaster that he's shrank back into being overly serious. Can't he sing something teenagery? I'd almost rather have Manga Boy back.

athena said...

MM -- The thing about David C. -- for me -- is he's just so damn smug. I think he's doing a great job overall, but his arrogance is a turnoff. I think he's someone for whom celebrity could be a very bad thing, you know?

Maggie May said...

Tracey, I see your point. I agree he was very smug in the beginning, but I thought it seemed like he was becoming more humble lately. Maybe he hasn't, and it's the fact that I have grown to like him more, so I don't hone in on the smug. That is a definite
possibility.