Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Life - Tracks 16-17

Several artists appear multiple times on my 101 list, but only two appear three times. The first of these is The Boss...aka Mr. Springsteen.

The first song I have already discussed here. The other two, are:


If I Should Fall Behind

My wedding song. I probably need not say more. It's about a couple, obviously, but it's also about how life, and relationships are hard, and sometimes you have to make an effort. The lyrics in their entirety:



We said we'd walk together, Baby, come what may
There come the twilight should we lose our way
As we're walking, a hand should slip free
I'll wait for you, should I fall behind, wait for me

We swore we'd travel, Darlin', side by side
We'd help each other stay in stride
But each lover's steps fall so differently
But I'll wait for you, should fall behind, wait for me

Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true
But you and I know what this world can do
So let's make our steps clear that the other may see
And I'll wait for you, should fall behind, wait for me

Now there's a beautiful river in the valley ahead


There 'neath the oak's bough soon we will be wed
Should we lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees
I'll wait for you, should I fall behind, wait for me


I'll wait for you, should I fall behind, wait for me
I'll wait for you, should I fall behind, wait for me
Yeah, I'll wait for you, should I fall behind, wait for me


Better Days

Another song that reminds me of CO. It must be the Bruce connection. Again, it's the lyrics I love:



Well my soul checked out missing as I sat listening
To the hours and minutes tickin' away
Yeah just sittin' around waitin' for my life to begin


While it was all just slippin' away
I'm tired of waitin' for tomorrow to come
Or that train to come roarin' round the bend
I got a new suit of clothes and pretty red rose
And a woman I can call my friend

These are better days, Baby
Yeah there's better days shining through
These are better days, Baby
Better days with a girl like you


The message, I think, is that if you wait to be happy, you will wait forever. You have to be happy now, with what you have, and not live with the philosophy that if only I had THAT, then I'd be happy. That philosophy fails, because when you get THAT, it fulfills you for awhile, but then something else comes along, and you now want IT. And the cycle continues.


There is only one thing that has the power to fix your life; one thing that can make you happy...and it's you.


I work with a woman who is a miserable human being. She only sees the negative side of everyone and everything. I swear she wakes up in the morning and seeks out misery. I wonder why it is so hard for her to just wake up and decide to have a good day. Sure, it doesn't always work. But if you decide to be happy, to have a good day, the little things might bug, but they don't put a pox on your entire day. On the contrary, if you anticipate a bad day, you usually get your wish, and the littlest thing seems like a harbinger of the ills to come.


Don't get me wrong...I am not all that optimistic by nature. I tend to always imagine the worst possibility right out of the gates. But then I reel myself in, and realize it probably isn't as bad as I imagined. I also cheer up pretty quickly when "shit happens." I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Decide to Be Happy." I try to decide it every day.


Here's wishing you all Better Days!

No comments: